The St. Anne’s MCR organises many different kinds of social activities, so whatever your taste, there’s bound to be something for you! You can find out below about the kinds of social events our MCR organises, as well as the activities we do with other colleges. You can also check out what’s coming soon below or visit the calendar to see what’s further ahead!
The MCR Social Secretaries are in charge of planning and organising most social events for graduate students at St. Anne’s. Some of the recurring activities our MCR organises are:
- Trips to the theatre to see plays by professional actors coming to Oxford or student productions.
- Pubcrawls to visit several pubs in Oxford in one evening, staying about an hour at each one before moving on to the next. It is a great way to get to know the city and your new friends.
- Day trips to notable places or towns outside of Oxford (e.g. Cambridge or London), usually by bus.
- Afternoon Sunday teas, where you can just relax, chat to other people from College, and of course have some tea!
- Picnics and punting down the river in the summer.
- Trips to the Oxford Ice Rink for some ice skating fun!
- Film nights or trips to the cinema.
- MCR parties in the common room of either EPH or RSH, when everyone gets together for drinks, music, and a good time!
- Special events such as Pancake Day, wine & cheese evenings, poker nights, and whisky tastings.
- Activities with other MCRs
The MCR Social Secretaries also co-organise social events with other colleges in Oxford. Collaborative events include exchange dinners, where we welcome students from another college to St. Anne’s for a formal dinner, and another week go to formal dinner at their college. Exchange dinners are a great way to spend an evening, meet other students over a nice dinner and see what different colleges are like.
The Social Secretaries at St. Anne’s and other colleges also cross-publicise bops, which are themed parties with cheap drinks that are put on by various Oxford colleges. Bops occur during term, usually on Fridays and Saturdays, and typically involve some form of fancy dress. The MCR Social Scretaries will email you during the week about forthcoming bops, and will often set a meeting point and time so that a group of MCR members can go to one of them together.
In addition to MCR-run events, the college itself also puts on a number of dinners, wine tastings, and Subject Family Events that graduate students can attend. In addition to this, many more social events are held around Oxford by other colleges, student societies, or establishments, so there is never a shortage of things to do or places to go!
Our MCR committee also welcomes suggestions for social activities you would like to see organised. You may also wish to cross-advertise an event organised by another group that you believe would be of interest to the MCR. In either case, the MCR Social Secretaries would be happy to hear your suggestions, so please contact them by emailing social [at] st-annes-mcr.org.uk with any ideas you have.